Sunday, February 05, 2006

Me, Myself, and a Dazzling Carbuncle

There’s an article in the New York Times magazine today about lying and I read it the way I read most everything--by paragraph in no particular order. I may start with the second to last paragraph, and then read a paragraph in the middle, and then read the intro, and so on until I finish. Like most of my engrained habits, I like to speculate on why I do this. What truth am I illustrating or pursuing? Perhaps its because I enjoy reading things I don’t fully grasp. If you just start reading in the middle of the paragraph, names are dropped without introduction, the fine points of concepts are deliberated over before you know the basics, the deviations are mentioned before you know the quintessential, and all this in a tone that implies that you should be “with” the author by this point. Now, if I were Hawthorne, I’d say that reading in this manner is a fine mimicry of the human predicament. Human beings, at in any one epoch, are thrust into a world that has already been ongoing (like reading the middle of an article first) and therefore have no sense of the set-up or “introduction” that might give the present meaning. Yet we all behave as if everything could be inferred from the present moment, just as I relish getting the gist of an article by beginning at the midpoint. I like a gist that’s hard won. Hawthorne responds: Perhaps so. But mankind has never been content with getting just the world‘s “gist” as you call it, though that’s all we should expect, given we’re permitted only a partly glimpse of the design in our short lives.
Oh that Hawthorne! Sometimes I think that if ideas were buildings and avenues thoughts, Hawthorne would appear on every street corner. He wouldn’t own a particular building or dominate a neighborhood as another mind might; instead, he’d just appear as a small detail at every intersection. You’d be racing down a street, trying to flee an idea or skid into the closing doors of another, and there’d be Hawthorne, leaning against a light post, staring idly into the streets. He would turn to you with a look of amusement and gentle pity, as if to say “Why run-through all these thoughts and ideas as if one would lead “somewhere else? Just as I am, you’re already at every point. You race through the streets in the hopes that you may find a corner free of yourself--something untouched by your own mind and lacks. But no corner can be free of you once you’re there! The only way to see things clearly and fully would be to have no self at all. No self to obscure anything, but sadly no self to see anything,either.”
On to a most Hawthornian topic: lying and secrets. In the NY Times article, there was a paragraph about a women who “lied for the sake of lying.” If her husband asked who she had lunch with, she say “June” instead of “Nancy” for no reason whatsoever. She lied like this everyday, with no motive or meaning, just ‘cause. Now, why would someone do this? Obviously, she isn’t trying to hide any one thing because the lies are arbitrary and lacking the uniformity to conceal anything substantial. Yet she does it naturally. The Times article speculated that it may have been her upbringing: she was raised in a loud, competitive house where lying to get attention or preemptive lying to avoid conflict may have made sense. Maybe. But I’d always thought that liars like this probably find a great deal of comfort in the idea that no one knows all the facts on them. Not one person knows what they do during a day. So much is kept to themselves that perhaps it feels like there’s more self in which to keep it all. I figure that’s why people lie--to make their selves feel more full and definitive. “I am,” they can say to themselves “all the little secrets I keep, all the stuff that no one knows.” They furnish the self with all that they withhold.
It would be easy enough to disapprove of lying for self-hood’s sake, but why? The contrary isn’t much better. I’m the opposite of a habitual liar. I’m a habitual discloser, which certainly doesn’t make me any morally sounder or mentally healthier. I hate keeping anything to myself. For the brief moments in my life when I had a secret, I hated it. Having something “all to myself” only reminded me of how lonely having a self is at all. It was like sitting alone in a room with a perfect gem, a dazzling carbuncle. At first, you’d feel great that it was all yours, but then you’d realize it had no value--it had no meaning at all--unless someone else sees it and sees that you have it. Once you’d realize this, you’d want to display it to the world, even if it meant the possibility of having it stolen. Being alone with either something of value or something terrible strikes me as equally painful. As I like to say, I wouldn’t want to see the ideal unless I had someone with me to nudge and say “look, there it is, the Ideal!!” I suppose, for me, I want to clear everything out of the “self” to give room for someone, or something, else to move in. Unlike the habitual liar, I try to empty myself out and keep myself ready for potential tenants to walk through. But just like the habitual liar, I’m sure I’m no more successful in that as they are in building the self through omission, lies, and secrets.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure don't WRITE in "no particular order".

James said...

I generally believe that catfish should be pan fried with scallions and a touch of seasoning, perhaps a salt and garlic blend or a dash of paprika. In ichthyological cuisine, it is the most delicious fish of the bottom feeding species ... a tad better than carp. When using saracasm in judging the writing of a genius, I tend to think it it is better at using its talents at eating river refuse or lying beheaded and deboned in my teflon pan sizzling in its own body oil.

beths front porch said...

Dear Habitual Discloser, I find so many thoughtful ideas I want to respond to I don't know where to begin. I also read NYT and other articles in no particular order. Sometimes I think I'm "testing the water"-is the article worth pursuing? Is the creek in which I want to fish? By the way, I love the "ideas-buildings, avenues-thoughts" image. Never thought of it that way. I'll be thinking of your thought provoking entry, and whether to confess to clear the self for a tennant, or whether to unearth some golden nugget in the mine, under the dirt. Thanks for the comment in my blog about the "reportage." That's where I want to go with my "real" writing, the "real" that is "false." Fabulous post. ~Beth

Anonymous said...

Well Cubby, I spend my days lounging about my deep hole located in a bank of the mighty Mississippi, not anyone's frying pan. Let me assure you there was no sarcasm in my remark. And if you stick you hand into my watery abode, I'll bite it off. There isn't a pan in your house large enough to contain even one of my whiskers.

James said...

WOWZAAA!! NOW DAT'S A BIIIG CATFISH, I MUST SAY!! I better get me one of those harpoons with a shotgun shell attached to stun this sucker! It's gonna make Fiiiine vittles!! And since you are sooo big, I'm gonna use the metal drippin' pan under my Cool King Refrigerator to cook ya in, catfish!! Maybe I'll use one of your big 'ol whiskers as a belt or a cut it up for shoe lace for about 14 pairs of Payless shoes. You are one big 'ol nasty bottom feeder!

McFawn said...

Catfish & Cubby--
You two are a fine example of the worst aspect of literary criticism. Rather than addressing the work--that is, my genius blog--you instead engage in endless, petty debates with one another. I've always said that literary critics today don't even need literature, since their conversations are really only with each other. Thank you for illustrating that stark truth.

James said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
James said...

McFawn, you are brilliant! I shall be sending you an email soon exposing myself and my six degrees of separation from your genius. Please look for this missive that will appear in your personal email inbox ...
I have never considered myself a literary critic, my genius, ergo my sophomoric written warfare with a bottom feeding fish. Usually I leave these wrestles with water denizens to my weekends in a rowboat ... I transgressed and took the battle to cyperspace. I bow before you, McFawn, and your Godless universe. Forgive me and the revelation of the stark truth.

Mary said...

It's been a while. I need more posts, or else I'll have to start doing productive things!